Loud mufflers causing complaints and citations in Bellevue
A special emphasis on issuing citations for vehicles with loud mufflers due to the complaints from residents has been racking up some numbers.
According to the Bellevue Beat Blog, 11 vehicles were cited on August 6th alone for having modified or incomplete exhaust systems.
Modifying exhaust systems or not having an exhaust system in order to increase or amplify engine noise is illegal in Washington state. Bellevue PD has already cited 237 vehicles as of August 9, 2021. They will continue with citing for the problem throughout the year.
Avoiding tickets costing from $149 for the first offense, then $190 and $231 for successive tickets might help quiet the streets of Bellevue being disrupted by these "modified" exhaust systems.
A general search online may answer the question; why would anyone want to modify the exhaust of their vehicles so their cars are too loud? Some opinions found are provided below.
- People like driving hot rods to seek attention
- Driver's need ego boosting
- Better car performance
- Rednecks including police like driving loud cars
- Driver's like to exhibit their personality driving "modded" cars
- "To get rid of that (expletive deleted) box of metal that chokes up the engine"
- Noise is GDP-positive; noise sells
Hopefully the citations will help keep Bellevue a safe-zone for people who like their sleep at night, and no one really likes to listen to loud cars driving on streets except maybe the people from the list above.